Tuesday, June 28, 2016

June 28 Long, useful day

The day did not start well.  Optimistically I slept in the master bedroom only to be awakened at 2:30 and 4:30.  At 4:30 there was awful diarrhea and I got up to prepare the Imodium solution and put it into David's feeding tube.  He changed into fresh clothes and went to the family room to watch TV.  He has trouble with his hearing aids and the blue tooth and I told him that he had to go into the bedroom and watch TV but he didn't want to do that.  I finally figured out what he was doing wrong, fixed it and went into the guest room to sleep.  At 6 he knocked on the door for more Imodium.  I gave it to him and fell back into bed.  Anothe knock at 7 for more Imodium.  By then I just got up.  I went to the drug store to see if there was a stronger anti-diarrhea med.  Neither local one opened until 8 so I waited.  There is no stronger med; it's this or the generic, all the same strength.  I got more because we were running low.  The home health nurse came at 9.  She gave us a sample jar for a stool sample.  We had fun getting that!  Later the physical therapist came.  Amy left their company to move to PA to be near her mother (VA is not a bad place to move to be near your parents - hint) so her supervisor, Rachel, worked with David and was astonished to see his strength after 7 days in bed.  He lost almost no ground with this hospitalization and did the full round of exercises with her.  He has balance issues that she is going to work on.  She will also work on getting him to walk down our driveway to get mail and to take the trash cans to the curb.  She asked him if he is driving.  I was not happy with that particular question because it seemed to indicate that he is OK to drive.  He does not think that so I am relieved.
I took his car to the drug store because it has not moved since he entered the hospital on May 18.  I noticed that the state inspection is due this month and took it to the dealer for the inspection.  They give us free inspections because he bought the Corolla there.  The wait was estimated to be 2.5 hours so I got a ride home with Fred Wright who was visiting David BUT there was a miscommunication and Fred left to get me while David navigated out the door onto the porch and locked himself out!!!  He sat on the porch steps until we got home.  Than took me to collect the car later.
I watered all the plants on the two porches the deck and the patio, so of course it is finally raining.  I'm heading to bed early because I teach tomorrow between 9 and 2 and I am exhausted.  Laundry and unloading the dishwasher has to wait, along with myriad other stuff.  I'm keeping the essential things under control.  David is doing his best to get strong and stay informed.

No comments:

Post a Comment