Monday, June 20, 2016

Mary Washington Hospital once more

We are in the ER at the hospital waiting for David to go for a CT scan before going upstairs. Earlier today the physical therapist arrived to find David trembling with blue hands and nail beds and blue lips.  His oxygen level varied between 69% and 100%.  I called the doctor and was told that my first call should have been to 911.  I hung up and did that.  They came in under 5 minutes.  In the ER blood work was done and a chest X-ray too.  The ER Doctor said David had to stay and transferred him to the hospitalist, Dr. Torres (the male, straight version who is not on Gray's Anatomy).  He is concerned about the pneumonia on the chest X-ray causing the breathing issue and it being hospital acquired and is treating is aggressively with three, IV antibiotics:  Vancomycin, Ceftrisxolon and Azithromycin as well as aggressive breathing treatments to knock it out.  He will also have a CT scan to rule out a lung clot.  He will do this while a guest of MW hospital.  Sigh.  He is NOT happy about being here.  He has his cell phone and hearing aids with the Bluetooth connected to it but is not really into conversations.  Than brought a book he is reading, extra batteries for his hearing aids and his Kindle.  I am working on a list of stuff to bring tomorrow.  Than is here to help and our neighbors are pouring out with offers to do things.  There is really nothing anyone can do other than pray or come to see him if you are local.  The hospital rooms are small, cramped and uncomfortable.  Visitors are welcome in small groups for an hour or so at a time.  I haven't seen his room yet to see how many chairs are there.  The last time the room was a nice size with three chairs.  The first time it was not and there was a single chair. He looks great and feels good while in bed with oxygen.  The goal will be to have him look and feel great with normal activities and on room air.
There is a wonderful deli down the block where I can get any food I don't have from home and I can go there when others are visiting.  Teaching my class is an escape for me and I love my students and colleagues.  If you can think of something I am missing let me know.

No comments:

Post a Comment