Tuesday, June 7, 2016

A window into our world

Today the home health nurse visited and noticed fluid in David's lungs and legs along with some wheezing.  I noticed a 3 - 5 pound weight gain over yesterday.  Water retention!!  We decided to increase the diuretic to morning and lunch to keep fluid down.  David argued about the weight gain saying he was dressed today whereas in previous day's he was in his nightshirt.  Since we have an analog scale, reading it is problematic.  We just ordered a digital scale from Amazon.  That will provide less subjectivity in the weight.  David wanted to go to Costco and I nixed that idea.  I had too much to do here.

I caved out of exhaustion and exasperation and we bought a new TV for the bedroom.  My goal is to have him stay in there, in bed when he wakes up in the middle of the night rather than wake me.  When he gets up without waking me, I am anxious in my sleep and hear him with the walker and wake up anyway.  He fell in the bathroom Sunday night and I am nervous if he is up when I am not available to help him if he falls.  Between us we were able to remember the PT's instructions about how to get up from a fall.  Additionally, once he gets out into the family room to watch TV, he turns his hearing aids onto the Bluetooth to get the sound directly there but cannot hear if the sound is off on the TV speakers and that wakes me up too. He tells me that he pressed mute but I think he double presses it and turns it off immediately after muting it.  With a TV in the master bedroom and my door closed in the guest room I should be insulated from noise and relaxed enough to sleep.  Than took the old TV to the dump; it was so old that GoodWill would not take it.  I finally had the time and patience to set up the new one this morning after the nurse's visit.  Now David wants me to explain all the features to him.  I declined and told him to find a tutorial online.  It has Internet access to myriad services BUT you have to be subscribed and enter your password for each of them.  I did NOT have the time and patience to do that today.  I should have skipped the wireless installation.  The TV is connected to the FIOS box and has access to broadcast TV, the DVR with our saved programs and FIOS on demand.  I think that is enough.

I have to do both of our laundry....in the downstairs machines because the upstairs dryer is broken.  The repair person is coming Thursday but our laundry was piling up.  I need to water the flowers on both porches and the deck and sweep the deck.  I have to sweep and mop the kitchen and dust other stuff as well as write an exam for my Bio class and prep for tomorrow's class.  Bring on the iced coffee.  Meanwhile David is napping on the couch with his legs propped up on the coffee table.  He did all of his exercises and I think that wore him out.  He has to do the entire set twice a day. The nurse told him to wear the compression stockings and elevate his feet as much as possible.  I think that he will feel better when that fluid is lessened.  We are still finding the sweet spot between water retention and dehydration.

No comments:

Post a Comment