Friday, June 24, 2016

Negative cultures and no change in the X-ray

So the title says a lot.  The cultures were negative for fast growing bacteria and this morning's X-ray shows no change in opacity so the pneumonia has not improved.  The hospitalist still thinks that David should continue with the Zosyn.  I think that Vancomycin has been discontinued.  David has terrible diarrhea and that got cultured this morning for Clostridium difficile.  I am concerned about the antibiotic wiping out his friendly bacteria and the possibility of a secondary fungal infection as well as the diarrhea.  The diarrhea is so bad that it prevents him from moving, walking and exercising in addition to making him weak of its own accord.  I feel so sorry for him.  He's convinced that the diarrhea will go away if he goes back onto the blood thinners...don't know why.  I think that it is well established that Lomotil will stop the diarrhea and that it should be prescribed.
I asked the hospitalist how we would know if the antibiotics work if there is no bacterial culture that will show it, that his white count is normal.  The pneumonia has not budged and when do they expect that to change if the antibiotics are effective.  I also asked if they cultured for slower growing mycobacterium and fungi.  He didn't think so.  He pretty much said standard of care is to treat before the cultures are finished.  That is the difference between medicical science and objective science.  In a scientific setting I would be heavily criticized for taking that approach.  I am having a hard time understanding why antibiotics are still appropriate.  Dr. Kear said that I would be really unhappy if I told them to stop the antibiotics and then David got sicker.  This is true.
I went back to the reason for admission:  Low oxygen levels.  That resolved right away when IV LaSIX was initiated BUT they started antibiotics at the same time and are reluctant to stop either now.  David is weak, confused about what is happening to him and just wants to get better.  He is not clammoring to come home.
I think the plan is for him to come home tomorrow with IV antibiotics.  Medicare and supplemental will not cover the home IV antibiotics.  I'm still not sure how long they will be necessary.  If that is the treatment plan we all agree is the best, then we'll do it.  Being home is worth the cost of it.  I am waiting for the infectious disease guy, Dr. Bernstein, to call me to discuss it.  David will need to have interventional radiology install a port for the IV before he leaves the hospital.  I'm unsure about who will administer the IV drugs.  I can probably do it if they will allow it.  At 32.10 a day it is quite affordable if the duration is short.  With these side effects I'm not sure that David can tolerate an extended duration.
Please keep us in your prayers.

No comments:

Post a Comment