Wednesday, June 22, 2016

Wednesday is shower day

After teaching I headed to the hospital.  Dr. Bernstein and I spoke last night about 11 and he wanted to use different antibiotics.  He thought that David could have caught a bad bacteria in his throat mucus that then went to his lung and pneumonia.  He wanted to stay with Vancomycin but change the other two to Zosyn (a mixture of two antibiotics, piperacillin and tazobactan) IF the pharmacy would let him.  The drug is in short supply.  The awesome Richard Mainzer let me know that this is due to a plant closure in Italy causing a raw material shortage.  Happily the pharmacy filled the prescription and David got it today along with vancomycin.  The hospitalist spoke with us this afternoon and said that the course of the drugs would be 48 hours.  The social worker came in shortly thereafter to inquire about home health services and our preferred provider because David is probably going home at the end of the week.  I sure hope so because as I mentioned before nothing happens in the hospital on weekends.  I convinced the doctor that David is not a fall risk and the physical therapist finally got her report in confirming that.  So that led to a shower for him but without his usual hair care products so no conditioner, no mousse and no blow dryer.  He is still using the urinal because they are obsessed with measuring it.  When I come tomorrow I will bring clothes for him to go home.  Even if he has to stay until Friday it will represent hope.

No comments:

Post a Comment