Saturday, July 2, 2016

July 2 progress

David is moving along at exponential speed both physically and mentally.  Yesterday he got his walking stick, walked down the driveway around the cul de sac and up the hill to the house (past the empty trash cans) and up the driveway.  He was really tired after that but managed to recover and come to Lowe's with me.  He walked around the store with his cane and associates were falling all over themselves asking him if he needed assistance.  His reply, "I'm with her."  Next he insisted on going to Cold Stone Creamery for ice cream and ate the top part of a scoop of vanilla.  He said that it definitely me his expectations.  The rest is in the freezer.    Yes, I know he is supposed to have nothing by mouth but he was extremely insistent that he does not aspirate so I gave in.  I had a Banana Split Decision for the first time in years.  When we got home I resumed deep cleaning the house that has been sorely neglected and David started to vacuum.  We both slept soundly last night.  Today I'm took him to the temple for services and then we went to Sears and Wegman's.   Tomorrow I will drive him to take a brief walk in Prince William Forrest and then breakfast at Dumfries.
Tuesday is his visit with Dr. Clemo, the primary care physician and we'll see if he is cleared to start driving again.  The physical therapist explained that home health care stops once he is able to leave the house and go places alone.  She suggested that he drive and I passenger the first time and that we take a short trip.  She suggested Costco.  I'm thinking the Lee's Hill shopping center - to donate at GoodWill and shop around.
Rachel, the Physical Therapist, showed him the app on his iPhone that counts steps as long as it is on him.  WELL this is now an obsession.   Yesterday he did somewhere around 3800 steps and today he is already up to about 2500.  He plans to vacuum the downstairs and will no doubt do a stroll around the cul de sac again trying to top yesterday's total.  He is building up to "passing" the evaluation that will determine if he is a fall risk on Tuesday when Rachel comes again.

No comments:

Post a Comment