Friday, December 2, 2016

New problem surfaced slowly progressed fast

For the last several months David has complained about a pain in his hip and taken Tylenol.  He mentioned it to Dr. Clemo and she OK'd the Tylenol every four hours.  That stopped being effective and he started needing a cane yesterday.  He saw Dr. Clemo again yesterday and she ordered X-Rays which he immediately got.  She also referred him to our old neighbor, Anne Truong, who is a pain and joint doctor.  Today he cannot put weight on his right leg and is in bed.  Sitting is equally painful.  He has an appointment with Dr. Truong on Tuesday.  Meanwhile the pain is terrible but he did not ask for additional pain meds yesterday.  So now he needs something and I called Dr. Clemo's office twice without success.  Finally her nurse called Tylenol with Codiene into Costso and I picked it up.  There is a faculty meeting out at Locust Grove (45 minutes away) and I've sent in my "excuse" for not attending and emailed a friend to give me info after the meeting.  With budget cuts in VA I wish that I could attend and participate in the discussion.  David comes first.
The X-ray did not show bone damage.  So we'll see what Dr. Truong can do.   Dr. Truong is the local guru for stem cell joint treatment and friends have recovered fully and easily from that compared to open surgery/replacement.  BUT insurance does not cover stem cell treatment.  It does cover the PT after the treatment and the protein rich platelet follow ups.  Plus you have to have some cartilage in the joint to be a candidate for the stem cell treatment.
He's had the new pain med and is in bed watching TV with the electric blanket on high.  I expect that he will take a nap.
So keep us in your prayers as David faces one more challenge with an aging body.

2 comments:

  1. JoAnn, I just read this tonight, we had the Grandstoday. I will certainly keep Dad in my prayers tonight and call in the morning.

    ReplyDelete
  2. JoAnn, I just read this tonight, we had the Grandstoday. I will certainly keep Dad in my prayers tonight and call in the morning.

    ReplyDelete